What Is The Best Wireless Keyboard For A Samsung Smart TV? Here’s the editors choices for 2018…
- Logitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard with Built-in Touchpad 10/10
- Rii i8+ 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, LED Backlit 8.5/10
- Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard 8/10
- Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard 7.5/10
Smart TV’s are great, lots of fun, hugely flexible and a great asset to a modern home!
- Hugely flexible. One minute a TV, the next a media center, the next a games portal, the next a computer monitor etc.
- Trendy, stylish and thoroughly modern.
- A pathway to services and apps that are not available via normal TV’s.
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, UHURU Compact Keyboard Mouse Combo for Smart TV, Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP, Laptop, Surface ProLogitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard with Built-in Touchpad – Easy-access Media Keys and Shortcut Keys for Windows or AndroidRii RK700 2.4Ghz Multimedia Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo For PC Laptop Raspberry Pi KODI HTPC XBMC Macbook Android TV Box Smart TV ,Wireless Mouse USBESYNIC Wireless Touch Keyboard USB TouchPad Media Keyboard with Built-in Large Size Trackpad Mouse Combo for Andriod TV Box Google Smart TV Box Raspberry Pi3 HTPC IPTV Windows 10 8 7 VistaLogitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black(Updated 2017,Backlit) Rii i8+ 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, LED Backlit, Rechargable Li-ion Battery-Black
Samsung 50" LED Smart TV with KeyBoard by Logitech Keyboard and smart hub review by Mr Tims
Mr Tims review how the Logitech k400 keyboard works with the Samsung smart TV. Real time web browsing. See how fast it works.
A smart TV, sometimes referred to as connected TV or hybrid TV, is a television set or set-top box with integrated Internet and Web 2.0 features, and is an example of technological convergence between computers and television sets and set-top boxes. Besides the traditional functions of television sets and set-top boxes provided through traditionalbroadcasting media, these devices can also provide Internet TV, online interactive media, over-the-top content, as well as on-demand streaming media, and home networking access. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_TV
But they are not without issue and the biggest bug bare is trying navigate around the screen with the teeny tiny remote supplied with most smart tv’s.
Not the most ergonomic designs for fully grow adult hands and fingers to get to grips with 🙂
No, what we need is a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. No more fiddling with teeny little buttons, no more trying to type onto the screen letter by letter via a blinking cursor that mocks, no more hunting for the remote that likes to slip down sofa’s etc.
So when I did a quick search for one of these brilliant things I was overwhelmed, well a little anyway, by the choices available. Did I need a touchpad? Should it be multimedia compatible? Would a laser mouse be best? Would a mini or full size keyboard be best? Did I need hot keys and a gaming keyboard? Would I best off with a wired keyboard, a wireless keyboard mouse, a bluetooth keyboard with an optical mouse? A wireless keyboard mouse or awireless mouse? A wireless keyboard and mouse combo?
Enough, enough…all I wanted was a keyboard with a mouse so I could use my Smart TV easily and without requiring a PhD in Smart technology.
So I set about answering some questions for myself and I have listed the main ones here, so you can get a quick feel for the terminology and jargon. If this leaves you cold then just click here to see my recommendation for the best and easiest to use wireless keyboard on Amazon.
Before moving on let’s run through some FAQ….
Can I use a wireless keyboard with my smart TV?
In a nutshell, yes….providing that the TV has at least either a USB connector or is Bluetooth enabled.
What are the different types of Keyboards compatible with smart TV’s?
- Wired. Only go for this option if you have a specific need or your time machine has broken down and left you stranded in the 1980’s 😉
- Wireless. These units come with a dongle that simply plugs into your TV and then automatically connects to your keyboard.
- Bluetooth. Wireless with a difference as they do not need a dongle and connect via your TV’s Bluetooth connectivity.
How do I tell if my TV is compatible with a remote wireless keyboard?
As mentioned above, as long as it has a USB connector or is Bluetooth enabled then it should be fine.
How do I enable and connect my Bluetooth Smart TV keyboard?
All makes vary, but for the most part it is simply a matter of pressing the home button on the manufacturer supplied remote, going to settings and enabling from there.
Connecting Keyboard to TV
This video demonstrate how to connect wireless keyboard to Samsung smart TV.
If my TV doesn’t have Bluetooth how do I connect a wireless keyboard?
Simple plug the supplied dongle (a little plug that slots into a USB connector on your TV), pop that batteries into your keyboard and that’s it 🙂
What is the range of a wireless keyboard?
You should be looking at a range of around 10 meters with most models.
What is the battery life of a wireless TV keyboard?
Under normal conditions you can expect to get around 6-12 months usage out of a set of batteries.
How much does a smart TV keyboard cost?
You can pay anywhere between $20-$150 for one of these devices. I would recommend that you go for a mid range, well known make somewhere in the price range between $40-$80. By doing this you will get a good unit that will last, will have decent quality components and quality assurance at the factory.
Wireless Keyboard vs Keyboard and Mouse Combo?
Really, unless you have a specific need for a unit without a built in mouse, I would always go for one with a built in mouse. The functionality and flexibility is much, much greater and most people will regret missing out on a mouse input option.
Which is the best brand of wireless keyboard?
Without a shadow of a doubt, IMO, it has to be Logitech. Logitech wireless products are made by a quality manufacturer with a long history of keyboard experience and are the market leader in all wireless keyboard application.
Okay, so that’s the majority of the questions I get asked about these keyboards, so lets move onto the meat of this research….which is the best?
It basically comes down to 2 choices, both of them Logitech.
Logitech K830 vs Logitech K400
For my money, the K830 wins hands down simply due to the illuminated keyboard. This is a real boon when I am watching TV late at night and the lights are dimmed or the kiddies have fallen asleep on the sofa….plus it looks FAB lol.
Logitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Wireless Touchpad Keyboard for Internet-Connected TVs (Bluetooth & Wireless USB...
Free shipping35 new from $49.99
6 used from $40.00
as of April 24, 2018 3:37 am
Free shipping69 new from $26.25
6 used from $21.89
as of April 24, 2018 3:37 am
- Easy typing, even in the dark - Type effortlessly in all lighting conditions. A sensor detects...
- Keyboard and mouse all in one -The K830 streamlines navigation in the living room by combining...
- 10 m (33 ft) wireless range - Lean back and browse from your couch or bed with Logitech Unifying...
- Easy-access controls - The keyboard layout is optimized for a seamless, lean-back navigation. It...
- Wireless TV keyboard with touchpad: Enjoy effortless control of your TV-connected computer
- Plug-and-play setup: Setting up K400 Plus is a snap. Plug the tiny Unifying receiver into a USB...
- Comfortable, quiet keys and large (3.5-inch) touchpad: The ideal HTPC keyboard
- 10-meter (33-foot): wireless range Watch video, browse the web, chat with friends and more,...
- EAN: 0097855113566
- MPN: 920-007182
- UPC: 097855113566
- Model: 920-007182
- Part Number: 920-007182
- EAN: 0097855115300
- MPN: 920-007119
- UPC: 734911501898
- Model: 920-007119
- Part Number: 920-007119
Why would I want one of these things? Isn’t the supplied remote good enough?
Yes, the supplied remote is good enough if you are using the TV for just TV, but when you start using the smart functions of your TV then really something more suited to typing and using touch input eg a mouse are very useful. These inexpensive devices make life easier, take out the frustration of trying to use the teeny, tiny made for a five year olds hands and fingers, supplied remotes and are, well, just funky, cool and fab 🙂
I think that is reason enough considering their low price point.
I narrowed down a few really key features of these remote tv keyboards…see what I did there? key features>keyboard lol, that makes a wireless keyboard a pleasure and easy to use and used these for my selection criteria.
These features are;
- Keyboard Action. Ever had a keyboard that was clunky with unresponsive keys or keys just toooooo small? Yep, then you know where we are heading on this one 😉
- Battery life. Goes almost without saying that we want a keyboard that doesn’t require the batteries changing every 5 minutes.
- Size of the unit. Depends on what you want from your keyboard. If it’s just browsing the web and the odd email etc then a smaller, easier to lounge with keyboard may suit you better than a full blown standard desk size keyboard.
- Connectivity. Are they plug and play wireless or USB setup? Virtually all tv keyboards, whether they are Bluetooth or dongle connected are wireless. If the keyboard you consider buying is wired then ask yourself if this is actually a good thing? What are the benefits?
- Availability. Lots of keyboards for smart tv’s come and go with the fashions…and so do their warranties! So when looking for a tv wireless keyboard and mouse try to make sure that it is from a well respected established brand and seller.
- Price. They are all quite affordable, but the pennies all add up so we also looked at their value for money proposition.
Using our time honored, cut to the chase, three minute review I narrowed things down and found my clear winner….Here on Amazon
As always, hope you zipped through this concise info and you found it useful in choosing your new smart TV keyboard 🙂
Search terms used if you would like to carry out your own additional research;
slim keyboard, trackball, nano, numeric, contoured, rechargeable, function keys, combos, spill, logitech mk550, logitech unifying receiver, programmable, wireless connection, wireless technology, peripheral, the keys, usb wireless. shortcut, f keys,bluetooth wireless, usb port, multimedia keyboard, logitech mk320, logitech wireless keyboard, wireless keyboard mouse combo, mouse and keyboard, touch keyboard, mk270, wireless mouse, wireless desktop, fingertips, num lock, backlighting, cordless, 4g wireless, interference, computer keyboard, natural ergonomic keyboard 4000, caps lock, sleek, keystrokes, standard keyboard, gaming mouse